Tuesday 22 April 2014

Day 6 : Flight 11 Apr 17th STT-MIA American Airlines 08.35

Day 6 : Flight 11 STT-MIA American Airlines 08.35
Aircraft: Boeing 757
Class: Business
Distance: 1110 miles
Tier points:40
 
I wake up at 6.30am, quick shower and I walk to the airport. I feel it will be safe in the daylight and the receptionist confirms it's fine in the daylight. It's a few minutes walk. 

I have only hand luggage but I need to collect my boarding pass, check in and security take longer here than mainland US and its about an hour from the check in desk to the departures lounge. 

St Thomas is not a US state but is a US territory which I have read means you don't have to clear US immigration if you travel to and from the mainland. There was a customs and immigration post in STT but as a UK passport holder who had already cleared immigration in Shannon I was waived through with no fuss at all just presenting my passport and some sort of declaration that I was not bringing anything unusual back into the USA mainland.

I do some reading about the 757's in the departures lounge and find that they are powered by the Rolls Royce RB211 - the worlds first triple spool jet engine and the engine that can pretty much be credited in making Rolls Royce the success that it is today. Great to see these things still going strong and on American metal no less!

Feeling better for some sleep and we board and take off on time. Breakfast is some cereal and a croissant. I'm sat next to a chap who wants to talk and the time passes really quickly. He's on his way from a week in the carribean to go skiing with his son somewhere north of New York. He's in for a big climate change across 24 hours.

We land in miami, my relief is extreme, I have a constant light head and motion sickness.

The tough part of the journey is over. I've now hit somewhere around 1300 Tier Points. My status is already up to silver.

Time for a week in Florida to unwind.

1 comment: