Monday 28 April 2014

Day 14 : Flight 14 Apr 26th HNL-LAX American Airlines 12.40

Day 14 : Flight 14 HNL-LAX American Airlines 12.40
Aircraft: Boeing 757
Class: First
Distance: 2550 miles
Tier points: 210

I’m dedicating this post to a good friend who got married while I was asleep in HNL and in fact I missed the wedding due to the routing of the TP run so congratulations and best wishes Faz, having seen the photo’s online it looked like a fantastic day!

I also wake to find that my girlfriend has locked herself out of our flat and doesn’t have the landlord’s phone number. She tried to phone me but I was flat out asleep with phone on vibrate and after her transatlantic flight spent 2 hours waiting for a locksmith to get her in. Given my ridiculous trip home I can’t help but laugh, it turns out I have the flat keys in my suitcase.
The third piece of news for the day is that Oasis are hotly rumoured to headline Glastonbury and I don’t have a ticket.

I head over to the airport and get ticketed, security is quick at HNL so I head to the Admirals Lounge and have some soup. I can’t find a decent coffee in the lounge so I head on down to Starbucks at the boarding gate.

Hawaii airport is partly outdoor as you walk to the boarding gates, you get a little garden on one side and then the planes on the other side of the walkway which you can hear and smell the jet fuel.

Once boarded the flight leaves on time, I’m really grateful that the trip is unwinding now, it’s the last time that I’ll be passing through HNL on this trip and each stop now feels like I’m going home.

As we leave HNL I spot a pair of F22's taking shade in their hangers.

Then we have to wait for a C5 Galaxy to land right in front of us.




I’m seated on the back row of the first cabin next to the window, just in front of the galley. I’ve been all over the 757 cabin and can firmly say that this is my favourite seat. There’s something that just feels a little more private and cosy with this seat and I like the fact that you can see the whole cabin in front. The downside is that you don’t always get your first menu choice, having said that you can always pre book your meal online. I must admit that I’m not that taken up with food on a plane to bother with that.
Lunch is a green salad followed by lasagne which is nice. I turn down the offer of the ice cream sundae.

I start reading ‘the meditations’ by Marcus Aurelius and overhear the cabin crew saying “we’re past the point of no return now, we’re heading to LAX”. It transpires that a passenger has been taken ill and the flight crew are concerned with getting on the ground asap. Oxygen is taken back to the rear of the aircraft and we get told that we will be early into LAX due to a medical incident.
There’s still a fair chunk of time to go to LAX, it must be terrible to be taken ill over the Pacific.
We're going the 'wrong way' around the world so its getting dark pretty fast.


No cookies due to the early arrival and we have a quick decent into LAX





We land, flight time I just under 5 hours, and paramedics board and take a passenger off the plane.
The chap is walking so hopefully he is OK.

Out of the terminal and into the Hilton LAX where I have a 17th floor room. Next stop JFK.

No comments:

Post a Comment