Sunday 1 June 2014

Trip 2: Day 4-5 Waikiki Hilton



Day 4-5 Waikiki


I leave the airport and have plenty of time so I decide rather than book a $14 shuttle I’m going to test public transport.

Google tells me that the number 19 and 20 bus routes will stop right outside of the terminal and take me all the way to Waikiki.
Arrivals at HNL is on the ground floor and to get to the bus stop you have to go upstairs to departures and exit there. There is a bus shelter outside with ‘City Bus’ written on it.

I ask a local and she confirms I’m in the right place and advises me that the fare is $2.50 and no change is given, quick trip to starbucks to buy a water and get some change.
I’ve only got carry on luggage which the driver is fine with but some other tourists with larger bags are turned away.
I’ve got 45 stops until I get to the Hilton so I settle down on the back seat, as we drive through Honolulu the bus gets absolutely packed.

After about 45 minutes I get dropped right outside the Hilton and have gained a pretty good grasp of the scale of Honolulu, it’s a much bigger city that I thought.

I check into the Hilton and get a nice room looking onto the beach and Diamond Head.

I have a quick refresh then head to the beach until sundown.



I grab a turkey Panini for dinner and eat on the beach, I’ve booked into the Marriott for the main part of my stay out here so I walk up to check it out. There’s a really nice atmosphere on the beach at night, I find a bunch of older locals drinking and singing Hawaiian songs.
I’m exhausted so head for bed.
The next day I get up, pack and clear the room. My flight is not until the evening so I give my bags to the hotel to store and head for brunch at Denny’s USA style. If a single meal could make you diabetic then this must be it…



I then head to the beach and spend the day relaxing and swimming.
I booked a courtesy room at the Hilton which allowed me 20 minutes to have a shower and then I get back on the number 20 bus to head for HNL. A very enjoyable day, the more time I spend here the more I like it.
I would say I’m not a massive fan of the Hilton village here, the room was great and the service was excellent but it’s just too big and messy, it’s a ‘resort’ with (I think) 5 he 20-30 floor towers and swimming pools and shops in between.
It feels like they built a bit, then added another bit, then another… and ended up with a concrete mess. Hopefully the Marriott will be a little nicer (a chap on the flight out last time recommended the Marriott to me)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Will, did you finish in the end? Readers like me are wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. C'mon update needed, we want to know if you made it to the end!

    ReplyDelete