Sunday 2 April 2017

Day 3, March 29th 2017

Day 3 March 29th 2017
“Nothing’s ever what we expect, but they keep asking where I go next. All we’re chasing is the sunset” Robin Schulz

Daily Routing PVG-KUL-BOM

My body clock has now completely lost track of which way is up and which way is down. A 777 pilot once told me the secret to crossing time zones was to sleep when you’re tired, and it seems to mean multiple 3 hour naps a day. I’m woken by my alarm at the hotel at 13.00. Quick shower and I go to the immigration to leave Shanghai.

Flight 1: PVG-KUL Malaysian MH0389 15:25
Aircraft: Airbus A330-300
Distance: 2358 miles
Tier Points: 140

I’ve already checked in and printed my boarding pass but go to the check in desk to make sure everything is in order as I understand Indian Visa requirements can be a little strict. I’m travelling on an E-Visa and have not printed it, it's on my phone. 
I’m hoping to print it in the lounge airside but when I get through there is no printing facility. Quite short on time due to long queue at border control I head down to the gate and the flight has begun boarding.

Quick shot of some Kohler advertising on the baggage trolleys in Shanghai for my girlfriend who works for them back in the UK..



The flight is around 5 hours and it’s equipped with lie flat beds, I’m well rested now though so I don’t think I’ll be sleeping.

We take off on time, and the meal is served. Satay chicken to start, which is OK followed by a salad and fish which is inedible. I eat the vegetables and send the rest back.

Settle down to a film “War Dogs” which is reasonably entertaining before catching up on blog writing.

Flight is uneventful and we land with an to spare prior to my next flight.

Flight 2: KUL-BOM Malaysian MH0186 22:15
Aircraft: Boeing 737
Distance: 2228 miles
Tier Points: 140

KUL is simple to transit through, I have to get a 5 minute train to my gate but it’s all airside so no border control to worry about. I head to the Malaysian airport lounge and the chap on the desk kindly prints my E-Visa for india for me, apparently you need a paper copy of the email and not just the reference number to gain entry.

I head down the gate, where everyone’s bag gets security scanned at the gate (as they do in Tegel berlin also) and the flight has a delay of 30 minutes.

I call the Intercontinental in Mumbai to ask them to arrange a car to pick me up and they quote 4800 Rupee’s, about £60. A quick call to an Indian friend back in the UK confirms that this is a ridiculous price and he tells me to get a pre pay taxi at the airport upon arrival.
We then board and are away. 737 for this sector which I'm expecting to be pretty uncomfortable.



It’s very late but I’m very hungry after a day of very little food. I’m hoping for a much better meal than the previous flight and I’m not disappointed by some much fresher satay skewers followed by a tasty lamb rogan josh.




Dinner done and it’s seat back but I’m struggling to sleep, the plane is a 737 so not lie flat but a 4 a breast recliner similar to what you get on US domestic flights. It’s actually pretty comfortable (compared to BA club Europe at any rate) but I’m not that tired so I fire up the tunes and watch some TV.
I do drift off at some point for a short while and am woken by our descent into Mumbai.




Landing is smooth, “the local time is 1.21am and the temperature is 27 degrees”, pretty much midday sun on the hottest day of summer in the UK then, only in the middle of the night!
Mumbai airport new and modern, simple to get through and in the end the border control goes without a hitch with the E-Visa.
I get a prepaid taxi for 1700 Rupee and head the intercontinental. Mumbai looks really dirty but is still reasonable busy even at 2am, plenty of people driving around and lots of people walking down Marina drive. It’s my first time in India and initial impressions are that it seems like an incredibly interesting place, I just get the feeling there is a lot to see here.



Check in done and I’m to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment