Friday 31 March 2017

Day 1 March 27th 2017

Daily routing: LHR-HEL-TLL-HEL-LHR

“A man travels the world over in search of what he needs, and returns home to find it” George Moore.

The days leading up to this trip have been pretty hard going on my body, after a week skiing in the alps we had a 4am wake up call on Saturday 25th for our transfer back to grenoble which ended in us taking 13 hours to get home because of various delays. I then had an early Sunday morning 7am start for the Ox5 charity 5 mile running race.




It’s a 4.30am start on Monday morning to leave Cheltenham and head for Heathrow. Day one is an out and out tier point earning mission, literally a return trip to Tallinn via Helsinki which generates 200 tier points. The flights have been on offer for about 6 months here now and via an amex offer I’ve managed to get them in for £180 return which gives 90p per tier point, my personal limit is £1 per tier point as an additional value I’m willing to pay for a flight in order to generate extra TP’s so this qualifies.

Flight 1: LHR-HEL Finnair AY3126 07:30
Aircraft: Airbus A320
Distance: 1134 miles
Tier Points: 80
I get dropped off at Terminal 3 at 6.20am, straight through security and I’m in the lovely new Cathay Pacific lounge in T3 by 6.35am. Not feeling particularly hungry I force down a bircher muesli, get in a quick 20 minutes of emails and then head down to the boarding gate. Having just returned from a skiing trip I’m absolutely spent so get on board and fall asleep for the entire flight. No photo’s, no food, no drink. Before I know it we’re 10 minutes to landing! It’s warmer than expected in Helsinki, I haven’t packed a coat and despite the snow on the ground as we’re on approach it’s perfectly fine with just a jumper as we depart the plane.

Flight 2: HEL-TLL Finnair AY107 13:45
Aircraft: ATR 72
Distance: 63 miles
Tier points: 20
Helsinki Airport really is a delight, transiting here is an absolute breeze. I’m travelling only with hand luggage so can stay airside. I head into the Finnair premium lounge and settle down to some work while I wait for the next flight, food here is a bit odd, lots of herring, some strange beef casserole affair but lovely lounge and as ever very chilled out Fins everywhere.
Quick electronic passport scan at the Schengen border and I’m through to the gate for my next flight.
Board the dual turbo prop ATR 72 and 20 minutes after take off I’m in Tallinn.

Flight 3: TLL-HEL Finnair AY114 17:25
Aircraft: ATR 72
Distance: 63 miles
Tier points: 20
All smooth so far, Tallinn airport is very small but a very comfortable place to be. There are complimentary sleep pods which some tier point runners have used instead of booking a hotel. I’m only here for a few hours before I turn straight around and check into the business lounge. Smoked salmon sandwhich and a cup of coffee and it’s time to turn around.


Again boarding is very straight forward, I’ve already checked in to all the flights on day one and have the boarding passes on my phone. Lots of turbulence on the way back to Helsinki and the ATR 72 seems to have a very steep approach. Heavy cross winds make for a pretty interesting angle as we touch down. Caught a photo of people skiing in Helsinki on the approach…





Flight 4: HEL-LHR Finnair AY3125 19:30
Aircraft: Airbus A319
Distance: 1134 miles
Tier Points: 80
Quick trip to the Finnair premium lounge again, just have a cup of coffee and water. Not sure what has happened here but the lounge seems half the size it was 3 years ago when I last passed though.
Boarding is a little late but we’re soon underway. The sunset is incredible and only gets better as we pass over the still frozen lakes as we fly over Finland. At one point the whole sky turns completely red, the photo’s don’t do it justice.







It’s these moments that make me appreciate how amazing it is to be able to fly around. You get to see a perspective on the world that no other generation of humans have seen. You’re sat there drinking a cup of tea, alone with your thoughts and the best view the world has to offer as you look down at London and see cars sitting in traffic on the M25.

I think it’s why I enjoy these tier point runs, it’s a chance to be alone with your own thoughts to be completely removed from the distractions of life and actually have some thinking time to consider what it is one really wants.

A really disgusting lump of rolled up beef with mash is served for dinner and then we’re back to heathrow.

I get on the underground, check into the garden inn Hilton (surely the best kept hotel secret at LHR being right next to hatton cross underground station!) and head down to the gym for an hour before bedding down.


Day one over, and 200 tier points in the bag, cost £180.

No comments:

Post a Comment